A digital multimeter is basically the measuring device of ohm, voltage and milliamp. If you have one at your home, it will help you in solving a lot of electrical problems at once. Today, I am going to discuss how to purchase the gadget and use it for solving such problems at once. In the market, finding the best digital multimeter is quite a difficult job. But our help will help you a lot in having a market research as well as the best product.
Sometimes, you may have one in your house and you are still confused about using it properly. Is it? Then we are here to get you out from this awkward situation.
- Buying from online: Nowadays, a digital multimeter is available in online shops and retailer. It has both positive and negative sides. Firstly, the availability of this tool is the most advantageous side of buying it from an online shop. But the difference in features as well as the price will confuse you more. The price may vary up to $25!
- Get a limitedly featured digital multimeter: The reality is that you are actually paying for what you want from the tool. The more the feature is included, the higher the price will be for sure. A multimeter which is digital, carries a lot of difference in every model. Depending on your budget and requisites, pick up the best one of the available options.
From my point of view, I would like to recommend you on starting from a basic model of the multimeter. When you will understand the limited capacity of this tool, you will understand exactly what you need. Though it will cost you, this is the best way to justify how the tool is going to help you in the future.
- Spend some more money to get the best: The experts will suggest you with a lot of specification of the multimeter. I have made it simpler than those expert opinions. I will suggest you to find the most durable one. The price may be a little high but the service will be top class. Also, it can take the load of your appliances easily. A digital multimeter is multifunctional. So, don’t worry. The cost will satisfy you from every side by using the multimeter.
- Grab an Auto-ranging Multimeter: As you are not a professional technician, the measurement may not be accurate all the time. In that situation, an auto-ranging digital multimeter is the best available option. It has the detection feature that lets you free from calculating or finding the most possible value. The reason of my recommendation is this predictability. The detection helps a lot to the user to use the tool properly.
- Continuity: A digital multimeter should be checked and rechecked for several times to ensure the maximum accuracy. Simply connect a metal and a probe with this device. When I see the values on the screen of the multimeter, it gives me real relief. The flow of electricity keeps the machine working. In the future, it will not need to be calibrated.
- The tone: If you hear a tone from the multimeter after connecting those metals and probes, it is okay. But without the tone, you may be confused about the connection. Sometimes, the sound is required to be ensured either the touch is okay or not. If not, it will show an “OL”. Your concentration on the measurement will be much easier to keep when you hear the tone.
- Warnings: I can start to describe the methods of using a digital multimeter now. But you have to make sure of maintaining the rules. Calling an electrician will cost both your time and money, whereas the multimeter gives you the opportunity to do it yourself. At first, you need to follow every do’s and don’ts on the pack of this tool.
- Using in Doorbell: Some people do not upgrade the electrical tools like a doorbell. If you are one of them and have an old style doorbell that uses really low voltage, you have the chance to use the multimeter device to find out whether the switch is getting power or not. It allows you to create a circuit break too. All is in your hand.
- Connecting the switch: A three-way switch is one of the most confusing tools for the amateur electrician like you and me. To find out the hot wire for powering up the switch, the digital multimeter will appear in your hand again. It lets you in connecting the right wire with the right switch. It is that simple!
- Checking the bulbs: When the bulb is not working, it does not mean that the bulb is burnt. The digital multimeter has to be connected with the aluminum and solder glob. A working bulb with defected base will respond after the connection.
- Live Voltage Measurement: Most of the electricians use the digital multimeter for this particular reason. But you need to follow the precautions to avoid any electrical accident. The live circuit may cause permanent damage to your body if the rules are not followed respectively. The outlet checking is for experts only. For improving in this task, you should ask a technician.
In conclusion, I want you to find a properly calibrated, guaranteed and durable. Mine was so strong that it survived, though after falling under my car. When you are sure of buying a digital multimeter, there will be less expense of calling the electrician again and again. Best of Luck!
Jason L.Trevino is a mechanical expert, founder of zoniv.com. He’s interested in sharing tips, tricks and product reviews. By reading his top reviews, customers can easily choose the best and most suitable products for them.